College

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

College life?


This is my SIXTH year of college. That's right, 6! No, I did not take time off, I have been going continually for 6 years. I didn't change my major either. Here it the thing, it seems to me that each and every time I think it's time to graduate, a new "required" course appears. A required course like "Exploring the Internet" that in the end will have cost me about $2,000 just to take. As if the other $35,000 was for nothing? I am going broke before I even embark on a career. What is it that we are really paying for? I don't think I'm all that much smarter after going to college all these years. I think that life experience has taught me much more. I know more now than I did back when I graduated high school, but I think that is mainly because of life, not college. College didn't teach me how to be a mother, how to cook, how to take care of a household, balance finances, be assertive when I have to be, how to buy a car, how to change a flat tire, how to be firm but not rude, how to be a decent person, the list goes on and on. To me, the things I just listed are more important that the "book smart" things I have learned in college, for a much lesser price. Furthermore, the best part of this whole thing? My career is MOTHERHOOD, until my son is in school, I'm a mom full time. So, what did I waste all that money for? A piece of paper on the wall? Well, at least I can say I'm EDUCATED.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home